Resah hatiku
sedih jiwaku
hanya bisa memandang dan melihat
kilauan dan gemerlapnya dunia
tiap-tiap langkah kehidupanku
mencari dan menelusuri
Cahaya TeduhNya
harapan kasih dan karunia

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Interpreting Poetry

Poetry is, more or less, up for interpretation.
Most poetry is not written like a novel, it does not tell a specific story and give you all of the details you need to decipher it.
A poem is there for the reader to interpret on his or her own.
After recently reading Seamus Heaney?s poem, St. Kevin and the Blackbird, I have taken my own understanding of it, which could be completely different from any one of my classmates? understandings.
Coming from a Christian background, rather than a Catholic background, I will
have a different interpretation than my Catholic classmates.
Catholicism and Christianity are similar, but in Christianity, there are no prominents saints, therefore I have very little background on the actual story of St. Kevin. This is the first, and probably biggest difference in interpretation between readers.



source: http://www.123helpme.com

No comments: